How to make plantain punch – a simple punch drink recipe for any occasion and time of the year, as plantain is available all year round. Whether you use green or ripe plantain, with or without alcohol, you will have a great-tasting Jamaican punch drink.
What is plantain
Plantain is a fruit related to the banana. It is not a banana or referred to as the banana in regions like Central America or Africa, where plantain and banana grow widely. Plantain is eaten both ripe or green, cooked or uncooked. It is eaten and used the same way banana is consumed and used.
In Jamaica, plantain is fried, boiled, roasted, baked or used to make porridge or drink. Fried plantain is eaten as a side at breakfast, and boiled plantain is eaten at dinner. Both green or ripe plantains are fired and boiled.
What Is Plantain Punch?
Plantain punch is a milk-based drink made with ripe or green plantain, essential spices, a milk-based supplement, traditionally Supligen, and sweetened condensed milk. Sometimes oat and peanuts are added, but you may also see recipes without them or one without the other.
Some Jamaicans choose to cook the plantain before blending it with the other ingredients, while others don’t. For the recipe below, I didn’t cook the plantain beforehand as I’m not too fond of the taste or texture of the punch when I use cooked plantain.
In Jamaica, plantain punch is an adult drink referred to as “strong back” because of the alcohol element that is added. The most common alcoholic beverages used are Dragon Stout or Guinness. Sometimes white rum and other tonics are added to the recipe.
If you want to make plantain punch a child-friendly drink, remove the alcoholic ingredient and replace the milk-based supplement with regular milk. My mother adds vanilla flavour ice cream to her plantain punch whenever she makes it for my niece and nephew. You could also include ice cream if you are making plantain punch for the little ones.
What you need to make plantain punch
Here are a few simple ingredients you will need for this recipe!
- Plantain: You can use either ripe or green plantain to make plantain punch. Ripe plantain adds sweet plantain taste better than green ones. This recipe uses both green and ripe plantain. You can cook the plantain before making the punch, but it is unnecessary. It is OK to consume raw plantain; it retains all its nutritional values than cooked plantain.
- Alcohol: You have three options for the alcohol content in plantain punch. You can use Guinness or Dragon Stout; both taste similar. I rather Dragon Stout and used it for this recipe. The other option is white rum, specifically Wray and Nephew. You can use white rum along with the stout beer or in its place.
- Supligen: Supligen is a milk-based nutritional meal supplement manufacturer in Jamaica. It is the popular choice for all Jamaican milk-based punch drinks. There are alternatives if Supligen isn’t available or you wish not to use it. Nutrament and Nurishment are the two most popular Supligen alternatives. However, I usually substitute Supligen with plant-based milk, which I also did for this recipe.
- Condensed milk: Use it to sweeten the punch.
- Spices: Vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg are to flavour the punch drink. I used freshly grated nutmeg in this recipe, but ground nutmeg works just as well.
- Oat & Peanuts: Oats and peanuts help give the punch body but don’t use too much that the drink is too thick.
How to make plantain punch
Two very easy-to-follow steps and your plantain punch is ready in less than 10 minutes.
- Prep: Peel and chop the plantain into smaller pieces suitable for your blender.
- Blend together: Add the plantain and the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
How to store and how long to keep
Make enough to drink that day because plantain punch doesn’t last long in the refrigerator. Plantain punch only lasts for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Store in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator and three months in the freezer.
Plantain Punch Recipe
- 2 Plantain 1 green & 1 ripe plantain
- 500 ml (2 cups) Vanilla Supligen
- 131 ml (½ cups) Dragon stout 1 bottle
- 315 ml (1 ¼ cups) Condensed milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- 31 g (¼ cups) Oat
- 35 g (¼ cups) Raw peanuts
- Peel the plantains and chop them into small pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve over ice.
- Supliden alternatives are Nutrament, Nurishment or unsweetened milk. I use unsweetened oat milk.
- You can use Guinness instead of dragon stout.
- Keep in the refrigerator and consume within three days after making.
Other Punch Recipes
Other Drink Recipes
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this plantain punch recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!