Jamaican Ginger Beer Recipe. This is an old-time Jamaican recipe that has been past down from generations. Rich is flavour is yet very easy to make!
Jamaican Ginger Beer
If you have never made your own Jamaican ginger beer, you have to try it. This is a simple and easy to follow Jamaican ginger beer recipe.
Made from Jamaican ginger and fresh lime juice, you won’t want to buy another in store ginger beer.
I will also show you how to add your own fizzy to the drink to make it taste just like the one you buy in store.
Jamaican ginger is considered by many to be the best in the world because it is the most aromatic and pungent ginger compared to other ginger.
It is used extensively in many Jamaican cuisines such as Jamaican ginger cake, ginger tea and much more. Use Jamaican ginger for this recipe if you are able to get any.
Ginger has so many health benefits, it could take a whole post to name them all, but just to mane a few:
- Immunity: Ginger helps to boots the immune system to ward off and prevent cold and flu
- Antibiotic: The antibacterial agent in ginger is found to be effective in treating bacterial infections such as gingivitis.
- Pain relief: Ginger can use to relief pain especially menstrual pain.
Lime or Lemon?
Lime and lemon are very similar fruits but their taste are slightly different.
Lemon is not as sour as lime and lime have a bitterness to it that lemon doesn’t have.
The recipe uses lime but I won’t say you can not use lemon.
How To Make Jamaican Ginger Beer
You will be surprised how easy it is to make ginger beer.
Get the amount of ginger you want, remove the skin, which is not a given, add it to a blender and puree.
Pour it into a container and add boiling water to it and leave it to steep overnight.
After you soak the ginger beer overnight, strain it add the fresh lime juice and sweeten with sugar.
Make It Fizzy
Just like the ginger beer pop you by in store, you can get your homemade ginger beer to fizzy just by using carbonated water.
You would reduce the amount of boiling water you add to the pureed ginger and make it up with fizzy water when you are adding the sugar and lime.
It’s that simple.
More Drink Recipes
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family.
I am SO thankful for you!
If you like this Jamaican ginger beer recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
The best Jamaican ginger beer recipe
- 1 lb Jamaican ginger
- 4 Limes
- 10 Cups Water
- Carbonated water (optional) to give the drink that fizzy
- Sugar To sweeten
- Thoroughly wash the ginger removing the dirt then chop into small pieces.
- Puree the ginger in a blender with 2 cups of water
- Pour the mixture in a large container 8 cups of boiled water. (Use 6 cups of boiling water if you intend to add the carbonated water) then leave it to steep for 2-4 hours. For best result, steep overnight.
- Strain using a fine strainer.
- If you are using carbonated water, add it at this point (2 cups). Add the lime juice and sweeten to taste with sugar.
- Put to chill, best serve cold