This traditional Jamaican ginger beer recipe is easy to make from Jamaican root ginger. This great tasting beverage is a favourite amount Jamaicans for decades and continue to be because of its great taste and health benefits.
Ginger is used a lot in Jamaican cuisines such as the Jamaican curry dishes. It is also use to make hot beverage as a remedy to relief cold and flu. The Jamaican root ginger is known to be more pungent and aromatic than other ginger, which contribute to the great flavour of the Jamaican ginger beer recipe. Try and get the Jamaican root ginger for to make this recipe because of its rich and strong taste.
Traditionally, the ginger is grated but we are using a blender for this recipe. This will reduce to preparation time and the chance of cutting our finger on the grater.
When you buy ginger beer at the supermarket it is fizzy like soda pop. This is not traditional, sparkling water in not a part go grandma’s ginger beer recipe but I have showed you how to get the fix quality to the drink.
The best Jamaican ginger beer recipe
- 1 lb Jamaican ginger
- 4 Limes
- 10 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Carbonated water (optional) to give the drink that fizzy quality
- Sugar To sweeten
- Thoroughly wash and clean the ginger removing any dirt then chop into small pieces.
- Puree the ginger in a blender with 2 cups of water
- Pour the mixture in a large container and add the lime juice and 8 cups of boiled water. (Use 6 cups of boiling water if you intend to add the carbonated water) then leave it to steep for 2-4 hours. For best result, steep overnight.
- Strain using a fine strainer
- If you are using carbonated water, add it at this point. Sweeten to taste with sugar and put to chill.