There are two Jamaican beetroot juice recipes, one sweeten with milk and one without milk. Both taste great but you will have your preference once you try them both.
My grandmother regular made beetroot drink when I was growing up. Mostly because beetroot have a lot of health benefits. Beetroot is a great source for fibre, iron and a number of vitamins. Even though my grandmother made beetroot juice because it is healthy, I always love beetroot drink whether it is with or without milk.
There are a few times I can remember my grand combining beetroot with other vegetable like carrot to add a twist to the drink. This is a great combination and you can find the recipe for it here.
Jamaican beetroot juice recipe is easy to make. Without milk, all you need is a few beetroot, lime juice, ginger and a sweetener then blend it all together.
Without milk, the beetroot drink simply delicious and very refreshing from the ginger and lime.
On the other hand, with milk the beetroot drink have a nice creamy flavour. The drink can be very smooth depends on how you make it. In the recipe below the beetroot is cooked before it is blend with the other ingredients. This is the most common way I saw my grand make the drink but it can also done with cooking the beetroot but the drink won’t be as smooth as when the beetroot is cooked before it blend.
In this recipe I have used evaporated milk but most Jamaicans use supligen instead.
The size of the beetroot will determine the number of beetroot you use. I used seven small beetroots as shown in the photo above. You may what to use less beets if the ones you are using are larger. Now let’s try one of these drink recipe.
Jamaican beetroot juice recipe
- 1 Large beetroot
- 1 Lime
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Small piece ginger about the size of half your thump
- Honey or sugar to sweeten
- 7 Beetroot
- 6 oz Evaporated milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- Condense milk to sweeten
- Wash the beetroot to get rid of all the extra dirt. You can choose to peal it, if not cut off the tip and the bottom than chop the beetroot up in to cubes
- Wash the ginger and slice it up into small pieces
- Put them into the blender along with the cups of water and the juice from the lime. Blend smooth
- Strain into a container and sweeten to taste. Put to chill. Serve cold
- Wash and peel each beetroot, put in a pot and cover with boiling water. Put to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the beetroot is soft.
- Once the beetroots are cook turn the heat of and leave to cool.
- Once cool, pour in a blender. Add the vanilla extract, nutmeg and evaporated milk. Blend until smooth.
- Sweeten to taste with condense milk and put to chilli. Best serve cold