These plantain fritters are so tasty and they are easy to make. Sweet ripe plantain crushed and mixed with flour and spice then fried for the soft lovely dish.
What Is Plantain Fritters
Plantain fritters is a fried batter made with very ripe plantain, plain flour and flavoured with sugar, salt and spices. They are sweet and soft and are eaten mostly for breakfast in Jamaica.
These fritters are made in the same way you would make banana fritters and taste similar, but banana fritters are not as filling.
Here is what you need for this recipe.
- Plantain: Should be very ripe.
- Plan flour: To bind the batter
- Sugar, Salt: For flavor
- Nutmeg, Vanilla: Essential spices
How To Make Plantain Fritters
This is very simple to do. Peel and crush the plantain. If you use a very ripe plantain it crushes easily.
Add the sugar, salt, and spices, this will help to soften the plantain even more. Add the plain flour and mix to make a soft batter. The batter shouldn’t be runny but more like a paste.
Fry on medium to low heat. These fritters burn easily so keep your eyes on them while they fry.
Keep in mind that the more sugar you put in your fritters the more it is prone to burn.
If served at breakfast plantain fritters is eaten with scrambled egg. Because of its sweet taste, plantain fritters are also eaten on its own at any time of the day.
More Fritters Recipe:
More Plantain Recipe:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you like this recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican plantain fritter recipe
- 1 Very ripe plantain
- ½ Cup Plain flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup Cooking oil
- Peel the plantain, cut it up into small slices in a bowl and crush it using a fork. The riper the plantain the easier it is to crush and the sweeter it will be and the easier it is to crush.
- After crushing the plantain, add the other ingredients except for the cooking oil. Mix until you get a soft paste.
- Add cooking oil to the frying pan at medium heat. The oil should not cover the fritters in the frying pan. When the oil is a bit hot, scoop portions of the batter mix with a tablespoon and add it to the oil.
- Flatten the paste mix with the spoon, once the fritters start to brown reduction the heat so it won't burn.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked on the inside.