Jamaican plantain porridge is one of my favourites porridges so I had to share the recipe. Have this delicious plantain porridge for breakfast or if you want to be like us Jamaicans, have it any time of the day.
Break that routine morning breakfast preparation and have one of Jamaican favourite porridge. Plantain is a favourite for many none Jamaicans and Jamaicans alike and this plantain porridge recipe won’t be any different. High fibre and a great source of carbohydrate this porridge will sure to keep you feeling full all morning. You won’t have that craving to munch on any snack before lunch time.
All you need for this recipe is just a few common ingredients such as green plantain, fresh coconut milk, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract. You don’t have to use fresh coconut if it is not available, but fresh coconut milk will add a better flavour to the porridge.
This is a vegan friendly recipe and gluten free. Just substitute or remove the condensed and unsweetened milk if you have a plant base diet.
Learn how to cook Jamaican plantain porridge with the simple ingredients and instructions below. I promise you will love the porridge and it will become your favourite.
Jamaican plantain porridge recipe
- 1 Green plantain
- 250 ml Coconut milk
- 250 ml Unsweenten milk of your choice I use soya milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick Or you could use 2 cinnoman leaves
- 1/4 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 750 ml Water
- Sugar or condensed milk to sweeten I used condenced milk and sweeten to my liken.
- Wash, peel and chop the green plantain into small pieces.
- Put the plantain and coconut milk in a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the water in a pot with the cinnamon stick (or leaves) and put to boil on medium heat.
- Once the water boils, pour the blend mixture into the boiling water. Stir continuously to prevent the porridge becoming lumpy.
- Once the porridge starts thicken, turn the heat down.
- Add salt and let the porridge cook for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to keep stirring the pot.
- 5 minutes in, stir in the milk and add the vanilla and the nutmeg.
- Cook for another 5 minutes then add the condensed milk or sugar to taste.
Get more great Jamaican breakfast ideas and bring a little bit of Jamaica to your mornings.