Jamaican plantain porridge is one of my favourites porridges so I had to share the recipe. Made just like banana porridge, but taste slightly different and have more body. Break that routine morning breakfast preparation and have one of Jamaican favourite porridges.
Plantain porridge is once of Jamaicans favourites, made with green plantain, milk and spices. I am using fresh coconut milk this recipe, but you can use whatever milk that suits you.
Have this delicious plantain porridge for breakfast or if you want to be like us Jamaicans, have it any time of the day.
What Are The Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make plantain porridge, just a few ingredients.
- Green plantain: Most be green plantain, the more mature the better but green.
- Fresh coconut milk: I’m not going to show you how to make coconut milk here. Fresh coconut milk tastes better than cannned ones to try and use fresh ones.
- Cinnamon: I am using cinnamon stick but cinnamon leaf or ground cinnamon works just as good.
- Nugmet: Ground nutmeg is just as good as the grated one.
- Vanilla, salt: Essential
- Condensed milk: To sweeten. If you are vegan, sweenten with this condensed milk
How To Make Plantain Porridge
It is simple and easy. First prepare the plantain by peeling it and blending it with the coconut milk. Then pout the blended mixture into a pot of boiling water.
From there, allow the porridge to thicken, make sure to stir regularly so that the porridge will be smooth and to prevent burn.
Add the spice and sweeten to taste with condensed milk or sugar. I use condensed milk beause I like my porridge creamy.
This plantain porridge is high fibre and a great source of carbohydrate. A bowl of the porridge will keep you feeling full all morning.
You won’t have that craving to munch on any snack before lunch time.
Plantain is also a great source for vitamin C, A and B-6 and is low in fat making this porridge a healthy breakfast choice.
This recipe is gluten free. To make the porridge vegan friendly, use a vegan condensed milk as the sweetener.
What To Serve It With
Plantain porridge is do filling you can serve it on it out.
You can serve the porridge with bread or crackers like us Jamaican do. We would break up the crackers or bread in the porridge. I prefer crackers, the bread gets to soft for my liken.
Fruits also goes well with plantain porridge, so you can have it with your favourite berry or raisin.
I promise you will love this plantain porridge and it will become one of your favourite Jamaican porridges.
More Porridge Recipe:
More Plantain Recipe:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family.
I am SO thankful for you!
If you like this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican plantain porridge recipe
- 1 Large green plantain Wash, peel and chopped in quarters
- 2 cups Fresh coconut milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick Or you could use 2 cinnoman leaves
- ¼ tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Salt
- 1½ cup Water
- Condensed milk sweeten to taste
- In a blender, add the plantain, grated nutmeg, along with one cup and a half of coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- Add the water to a pot with the cinnamon stick (or leaves) and salt. Put to boil on medium heat.
- Once the water is boiled, pour the blended mixture into the boiling water. Stir continuously.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk
- As the porridge starts thickening, turn the heat down.
- Let the porridge cook for 5 to 10 minutes
- Add the vanilla and sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
- Use one cup of water if you like your porridge to be thick. I like mine a little runny.
- Instead of cinnamon stick or leaf, you can also use ground cinnamon.