Try the very simple peanut drops recipe, one of Jamaican favourite snack that both adult and children will love. Made with just six simple ingredients, these sweet munchies are highly addictive.
What Is Peanut Drops
Peanut drops is a sweet Jamaican snack made with roasted peanut, ginger, water and spices. All the ingredients are cooked down to a syrup like liquid that hardens when cool.
This peanut cake is easy to make and the result is very tasty. You can eat drops any time of the day.
What You Need For This Recipe
Here is what you will need to make peanut drops; roasted peanuts, brown sugar, grated fresh ginger, vanilla and cinnamon. I used ground cinnamon here, but you could also use cinnamon leaves or stick.
I like a lot of ginger in my drops because I like its burning sensation from the ginger, so I usually use more ginger then the recipe recommends
How To Make
Put the peanut and the grated ginger to boiled for about 5 minutes. Let the peanut absorb the ginger flavour. If you are using cinnamon stick or leaf, also add it here so that the peanut can soak up that aromatic flavour.
Add the sugar and leave to cook until the liquid became a thick syrup, this will take up to forty to fifty minutes.
Cook on high heat until the liquid start thickening, turn the heat to low to prevent the pot burning.
Once the liquid thickened, you will need to “drop” it and leave to cool for the drops to form.
Traditionally the drops are left to dry on banana tree leaves. There is a charge that you won’t have banana leaves. In the case, use over sheet or aluminium foil. Leave to cool so the drops can form.
In Jamaica, peanut drops, or any kind of drops, is eaten at any time of the day or night. It is usually eaten on its own. This dessert is perfect for someone who has a sweet tooth
- Grater cake
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this peanut drops recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican Peanut Drops
- 4 Cups Roasted peanuts
- 2½ Cups Brown sugar
- 3½ Cups Water
- ¼ Cup Grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- Add the peanut and the grated ginger along with the water to a pot.
- On medium to high heat, bring to a boil.
- Add the the sugar. Leave to cook for 50 minutes or until the the liquid reduce.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon. Turn the high down to prevent burn and reduce the liquid to a sticky syrup
- Using a large table spoon, scoop out the peanut and drop it on aluminium foil, over sheet or banana leaf.
- Leave to cool.
- When spooning the drops, do it quickly because the syrup starts the get hard once you remove it from the fire.
- And careful not to burn yourself with the syrup.