Mackerel rundown recipe Jamaican dish
Bring a touch of Jamaica to your dinner with the mackerel rundown recipe. Flavour with coconut milk and other Jamaican spice, this mackerel dish taste great.
- 2 lbs Salt mackerel
- 2 Cloves garlic Crushed
- 3 Sprigs of thyme
- 1 Stalks scallion Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 5 Pimento berries (Allspice)
- 1 Tomato Diced
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet Seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Coconut milk
- 1 Lime/lemon To wash the mackerel
- Wash the mackerel with the juice from the lime/lemon in some water. Then place the mackerel in a sauce pan with fresh water and put to boil until tender.
- When cooked, remove from fire wash in cold water to cool. Pour water away. Deboned the mackerel then break into small pieces.
- Pour the fresh coconut milk in a sauce pan and let boil rapidly. Stir in the mackerel, onion, garlic, dried pimento, scallion, tomato, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme.
- Turn the heat to medium low. Cover the pot and let it cook until coconut milk is reduced to oil. Stir occasionally.
Mackerel rundown is mostly eaten with hard food.