So you love Jamaican fried dumpling and want to learn how to make it? I’m not surprised, the texture and the taste makes it a favour for both Jamaican and non-Jamaican a like. Today you will learn how to make Jamaican fried dumpling.
Fried dumpling is very popular because it is eaten for breakfast with eggs, callaloo or even ackee. It is eaten as a snack or a side dish for fried fish, jerk chicken and more.
The secret for getting the perfect fried dumpling is in the dough and the way it is fired. Make sure the dough is not hard, this will make inside soft when fried. when fired using a lot of oil so that most or all of the dough is covered in oil. And make sure the oil in hot enough before adding the dumpling dough.
Jamaican fried dumpling recipes
- 2 Cups Plain flour*
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Vegetable oil (Any cooking oil will do)
- Combine the flour, salt and baking power in a mixing bowl and gradually add water to it unit you make a stiff dough
- Divide the dough into equal small pieces and roll each piece between the palms of your hands to from a round ball.
- In a frying pan, put the oil the hot at medium heat. Let the oil hot but not too much, you don’t want the dumplings to burn before they even cook.
- Place the round dough into the heated oil. (Turn the heat down if the oil is too hot. You will know still if the dough start to brown too quickly after placing them in the frying pan
- Turn as each sides of the dough become golden.