In this post I am sharing the famous Jamaican festival dumpling recipe. This comfort food is liked by many because of its sweet flavour. Jamaican festival dumpling is mainly eat with fried fish, but also goes well with jerk chicken if you rather. Well, it goes with anything you like really. Similar to fired dumpling, you will love this recipe.
The festival dumpling is a type of street you will find served at almost all Jamaican celebration. Because of its flavour and texture festival dumpling is usually serve with escovitch fish.
Like many of our traditional cuisine, the recipe often vary according to regions. Some Jamaicans will add eggs and other spices, but only change the texture and flavour just slightly. The amount of cornmeal often varied as well, since the cornmeal determine how hard the texture of festival is. If you want a more lighter and softer dumpling, reduce the amount of cornmeal used.
One of Jamaicans favourite dumplings and after you try this recipe it will also be one of your favourite.
Sweet Jamaican Festival Dumpling
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Cup Cooking oil
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl and mix together the dry ingredients.
- When they are all evenly combined add the vanilla and start adding the water little by little and knead until if form a soft dough.
- Add the oil to a deep frying pan and heat on high.
- When the oil is hot, divide the dough into 8 portions.
- One at a time, roll each portion to form long dumplings and place them in the oil.
- Reduce heat to prevent the dumpling burning. Turn dumplings until all sides are golden brown.