Today we give you the Jamaican Escovitch fish recipe. Escovitch fish is one of Jamaica’s most popular fish dish next to the ackee and salt fish. Mostly enjoyed at events and family get togethers, the escovitch fish is mostly eaten with bread or bammy.
Jamaican Escovitch Fish is a dish where crispy fried fish is coated in a spicy pickled vegetable medley. Carrot, onion, pimento berries and lots of scotch bonnet pepper is cooked is vinegar. The crispy fried fried is covered in the spicy pickled sauce overnight to absorb all the amazing flavour.
You can escovitch any fish as long it crispy fried before covered in the pickled sauce.
You are going enjoy the tasteful flavour of this dish, so here is the Jamaican escovitch fish recipe.
Jamaican Escovitch fish recipe
- 2 Whole medium
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 2 Garlic
- 2 Onions Slice thin
- 2 Carrot Cut into thin strips
- 3 Scotch bonnet pepper De-seed two and slice. Leave the other whole
- 10 Pimentos
- 2 Sprigs thyme
- 5 oz Apple cider Vinegar
- Cooking Oil
- 1 Lime/lemon To wash the fish
- Wash the fish in water with the juice from the lime/lemon.
- Drain away the exces water and dry the fish as much as possible, usind kitchen towel helps a lot.
- Mix together 1/2 tsp salf and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Use this to season the fish. Rub the mixture all over and into the fish. Cut small deep gashes in each sides of the fish and rub the season into it.
- Pour oil in a frying pan, enough to fry one side of the fish, and place it on high heat to get the oil very hot. Cut the garlic cloves in half and drop them into the oil along with 5 grain of pimentos berries and the whole scotch bonnet pepper.
- Once the oil is hot carefully place fish in. After 2-3 minutes turn the heat down to medium. Fry both sides of the fish until is crispy. Then remove from fire and place in a kitchen container that have a cover.
- Pour away the oil in the frying leaving about 1 tbsp. On low heat, add the onion, the rest of the pimento berries, the slice scotch bonnet pepper, carrot strips, thyme and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and brown sugar. Stir leave this cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Pour our the fied fish and leave to absorb the flavour.