Try this Jamaican rice porridge recipe for tasty, creamy, healthy breakfast. Easy to make with rice, cinnamon, nutmeg and your favourite milk.
Rice porridge is not the most popular Jamaican porridge but when it come to taste, it falls in the top category.
How To Make Rice Porridge From Scratch
- Wash the one cup of rice to remove as much of the starch as possible.
- Put the rice to cook in a saucepan with fours cups of water, quarter teaspoon of salt and a cinnamon stick/leaf
- Cook until the rice is tender
- Add a cup of unsweetened milk. Let the rice absorb the milk.
- Sweeten with condensed milk
It is that simple.
What Rice To Use
I usually use white rice to make rice porridge because it easier to cook.
I sometime use brown rice because it’s much healthier but it takes a bit longer to cook.
Milk To Use
It’s up to you the type of milk you use.
I use unsweetened plant based milks such as soya milk, almond milk, rice milk.
If you are vegan you can use vegan condensed milk to sweeten the porridge.
More Porridge Recipe To Try
Jamaican rice porridge recipe
- 1 Cup Plain rice
- 1 Cup Unsweetened milk
- ½ tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Cinnamon stick Or ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Condensed milk To sweeten
- 4 Cups Water
- Wash the rice until the water is clear.
- Pour the rice into a large enough saucepan, add water, the salt and cinnamon stick.
- Put to cook on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Make sure to stir occasionally and reduce heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- Add the cup of unsweetened milk and stir constantly. Add the vanilla and nutmeg and stir. Cook for another 4-8 minutes.
- Turn the flames off. Sweeten to taste with the condensed milk
- Now enjoy the beautiful taste of Jamaican rice porridge.