Making Jamaican banana porridge is very simple and easy. This banana porridge is delicious and it makes a great breakfast for both children and adults.
If you never add banana porridge before you may be wondering what it is. Banana Porridge is a Jamaican breakfast, made with green bananas and flavorful milk and spices.
I am using fresh coconut milk, which may this porridge recipe suitable for vegans. I personally love coconut milk in banana porridge but any milk of your choice can go into this porridge.
Banana porridge is much like making plantain porridge, which also tastes great and very easy to make!
The few ingredient that you need to make banana porridge are:
- Green banana: A must
- Fresh coconut milk: I use freshly made coconut milk but canned coconut works also. And you don’t have to use coconut, any fresh milk of your choice works as will.
- Vanilla, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon: Essential spices.
- Sugar, condensed milk: Use either or, or both.
How To Make Jamaican Banana Porridge
You have to blend the banana before using it to make the porridge.
Traditionally the banana is grated and not blended. Green banana is very soft so this is still done, but the porridge is not as smooth.
Green banana porridge is not a very thick porridge and so oatmeal is often added to the blender to help make the porridge thicker. In my opinion, it is better without the oats.
The next step is to add the blended banana to a pot of boiling water and let the banana cook for about ten minutes. Green banana is usually very easy to cook so the porridge shouldn’t take very long.
Then add the spices and sweeten to taste.
Vegan Banana Porridge
The banana porridge is very vegan friendly, all the ingredients that I use except for the condensed milk are plant base. You can substitute the condensed milk with vegan condensed milk.
If you don’t use sugar, you can your favourite sweetener or not use any at all because the condensed milk is sweet enough.
More Porridge Recipe:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you like this recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican banana porridge
- 3 Green bananas
- 2 Cups (452 g) Fresh coconut milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick Can use cinnamon leaves or ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (0.5 tsp) Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) Salt
- 1 ½ Cup (354.88 g) Water
- Sugar To sweeten
- Condensed milk To sweeten
- Wash and peel the bananas. Cut then into three pieces and bland with the coconut milk and grated nutmeg.
- Pour the water in a pot along with the cinnamon stick and salt and put to boil on medium heat.
- When the water boiled pour in the banana blend. Stir continuously until the porridge starts thicken.
- As the porridge thicken, turn the heat down to meadium low and let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the vanilla.
- Sweeten to your taste.
- You don’t have to use coconut milk, you can use any fresh milk.
- Also, you can use both sugar and condensed milk or either to sweeten the porridge.