Making Jamaican banana porridge is very simple and easy. It taste delicious and it makes a great breakfast for both children and adults. The way it is cooked it similar to making plantain porridge, which also taste great, but is not as heavy.
Green banana is used to make the porridge with fresh coconut milk, vanilla and spices. Traditionally the green banana is grated by hand before adding it to a pot of boiling water. Now a days the banana blended and I blend the banana in the coconut milk.
Talking about coconut milk, I always use fresh coconut milk when in my cooking. This may take up more time, because I have to make the coconut milk but it makes my food taste better. If you can, make your own coconut milk for this recipe.
Jamaican banana porridge not only taste great but is also a healthy choice. It is gluten-free, vegan friendly and young children will love it. Banana porridge is great source for fibre. The porridge will fill you up until lunch time and reduce any cravings for snacks.
With just a few ingredients below you can make this simple delicious porridge for breakfast.
Jamaican banana porridge
- 3 Green bananas
- 1 Cup Fresh coconut milk
- 2 Cinnamon leafs cinnamon stick can be used as well
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Sugar or condensed milk to sweeten
- Wash and peel the bananas. Cut then into three pieces and bland with the a cup of the coconut milk
- In a saucepan put the cinnamon leafs in 1 cup of water and put to boil.
- When the water boiled pour in the banana blend. Stir continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- As the porridge thicken, turn the heat down to low and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Sweeten with sugar or condensed milk to your taste.
- Cook for another 4-5 on low heat.