Quick and easy to make, Jamaican oats porridge is full of nutrients and it taste great. Start your day right with this oatmeal porridge.
This Jamaican oatmeal porridge is perfect for those busy mornings when time is of the essence. Is is so quick and easy to make and it is a very healthy start to the days.
Oats porridge is rich in various vitamin and minerals and great source for fibre. A blow of this very filling and slow-releasing porridge is a great start to your day that will keep you until lunch time.
Cooking time and they quality varies with each oats type.
- Instant oats for example takes a minute in the microwave and it is ready. Instant oats less nutrient in instant oats but is very quick to prepared.
- Quick cooking oats is the oats I use to make porridge. It is ready in less than 15 minutes .
- Old fashion oats is more course. I rarely use this type to make porridge.
- Steel cut oats takes the longest to cook and the texture isn’t like the other oats. I sometime make porridge with this oats because it is much more nutritious and I like its chewy texture.
What You Need
Here are the few simple ingredients you need for this porridge recipe: seven simple ingredients!
- Oats: Quick cooking oats.
- Unsweetened milk: here I am using unsweetened hazelnut milk.
- Condensed milk: To sweeten
- Vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt: essential to flavour. I usually cinnamon leaf or stick but when I don’t have, I use ground cinnamon. I am using fresh nutmeg here, but you can also use ground nutmeg.
How To Make Jamaican Oats Porridge
A few quick steps and the oats porridge is ready in fifteen minutes.
Make sure you stir continuously as you add the oats to the pot. The best kitchen utensil to use is a whisk. This help to prevent to porridge getting lumpy.
If you want to make this porridge vegan, just replace to condensed milk with vegan condensed milk.
Jamaicans usually eat porridge on its own or with hard dough bread or crackers but oats porridge is great with fruits chucks. Ripe, mango, berries taste great in oats porridge.
More Porridge Recipes:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this Jamaican oats porridge recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican Oats porridge recipe
- 65 g Oats Quick or porridge oats
- ¾ Cup Unsweetened milk Your choice of milk
- ¼ Cup Water
- 3 tbsp Condensed milk to sweeten
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ⅛ Nutmeg
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- In a pot, add the water, unsweetened and salt and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Add the oats and whisk until the oats starts getting thick.
- As the oats gets thick, turn the heat to low and continue to whisking.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg cook for minute or two.
- Sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
- For this recipe, I used porridge/quick Oats oats, so it was easy to prepare. If you’re using another type of oats like steel cut or groats oats, you will need more water and cooking time to prepare the porridge.
- Instead of condensed milk, you can sweeten with sugar or any sweeter of your choice.