It’s Christmas, so it is no surprise that I am sharing the Jamaican sorrel drink recipe, Jamaica’s traditional Christmas drink. Make from the sorrel fruit, packed with white rum and flavoured with ginger and pimento.
The Jamaican sorrel drink is a Christmas beverage traditionally drink only at Christmas time. But now that the Jamaican sorrel drink have taken to world by storm it’s available to drink all year round. Even though the sorrel drink can be purchase in just about any Caribbean supermarket or whole food market, Jamaican still makes their own come Christmas time.
The homemade sorrel drink is usually pack with Ray & Nephew white rum have more flavour from the spices used. Ginger and pimento (allspice) is always apart of the ingredients. Some people add cloves and cinnamon but I did not for this recipe because I wanted to keep it as authentic and traditional. You can add cloves and cinnamon and sometimes I do too.
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without it, so make sure to try this easy to make traditional Jamaican sorrel drink recipe this Christmas. You never know. it may just become a traditional christmas drink you you are your family.
Jamaican Sorrel drink recipe
- 1 lb Fresh sorrel
- Freshly grated ginger
- 10 Pimento berries (allspice)
- 1 cup White rum Or the amount of rum that you wish
- Suger to sweeten Sweenten to your taste
- 8 cups Water
- Thoroughly wash the sorrel and pour the water away.
- Place the washed sorrel in a stainless steel pot along with the ginger, pimento barries and the 8 cups of water.
- Put to boil for about 3-5 minutes then turn the heat off.
- Leave to brew overnight or for at least 6-8 hours
- Strain well
- Sweeten to tatse with sugar.
- Add your rum and put to chill.
Share in the comment how you like the taste of sorrel drink and do you prefer with or without rum?