Today I am giving you the popular Jamaican coconut drops recipe. This Jamaican dessert is sweet with a rich taste of ginger and other spices.
If you love coconut, you are going to love coconut drops.
Jamaica drops is a traditional Jamaican dessert that is so easy to make you will pinch yourself.
Made with very simple ingredients you will have right now in your cupboard.
Brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and a coconut and you are ready to prepare Jamaican coconut drops with this simple recipe.
Related: Peanut Drops, Plantain Chips,
When make drops the sugary mixture is boiled down the a syrup that get firm when cool.
Traditionally, the cooked drops is scoop from the pot and “drop” on a banana leaf and leave to cool.
I guess that’s where the name comes from. Most of you reading this post won’t have a banana tree or have any means of getting a banana leaf.
But don’t be discourage because an over sheet or cooking foil will do the job.
Although coconut drops is the most popular there are other types if drops, peanut drop and Jamaican almond drops, both of which are my favourite; I can’t eat to much coconut.
Usually peanut and Jamaican almond drops are more expensive to buy.
Coconut is also use to make a lot of other Jamaican desserts. Toto, grater cake, gizzada are all made from coconut.
Try the recipes below and enjoy one of Jamaicans favourite.
Jamaican coconut drops recipe
- 1 Medium to large coconut
- 2 Cups of brown sugar
- 1 Cinnamon leaf Can also use cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Large piece of ginger Grated
- 2 ½ Cups of water The amount of water should just about cover the coconut when palced in the pot.
- Break the coconut and remove the brown and white meat bit from the shell and wash it.
- Dice the coconut meat into very small square like shape.
- Place to water and cinnamon leaf in a saucepan on the stove at medium heat and bring to boil.
- Add the grated ginger and the diced coconut to the boiling water. Leave to cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and let this cook until the water is reduce to a brown syrup like liquid. Make sure you stir continuously so the coconut will not burn.
- Add vanilla extract and remove the cinnamon leaf.
- Get your over sheet or cooking foil and place it on a flat surface. Using the cooking spoon, spoon out the coconut and drop it on the over sheet or cooking foil.