Today I am giving you the popular Jamaican coconut drops recipe. It is not a meal but how can I not share this recipe when the coconut drops is one of Jamaica’s most popular snack.
Jamaica drops is a traditional Jamaican dish that is so easy to make you will pinch yourself. Made with very simple ingredients you can made it now with ingredient in your cupboard. Traditional, when making any kind of Jamaican drops, you need a few banana leaves to place the drops on when it time to cool it but in this case we will use over sheet or cooking foil.
Try the recipes below and enjoy one of Jamaicans favourite.
Jamaican coconut drops recipe
- 1 Medium to large coconut
- 2 Cups of brown sugar
- 1 Cinnamon leaf Can also use cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Large piece of ginger Grated
- 2 ½ Cups of water The amount of water should just about cover the coconut when palced in the pot.
- Break the coconut and remove the brown and white meat bit from the shell and wash it.
- Dice the coconut meat into very small square like shape.
- Place to water and cinnamon leaf in a saucepan on the stove at medium heat and bring to boil.
- Add the grated ginger and the diced coconut to the boiling water. Leave to cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and let this cook until the water is reduce to a brown syrup like liquid. Make sure you stir continuously so the coconut will not burn.
- Add vanilla extract and remove the cinnamon leaf.
- Get your over sheet or cooking foil and place it on a flat surface. Using the cooking spoon, spoon out the coconut and drop it on the over sheet or cooking foil.