I am go excited to share with you this tamarind drink recipe. This delicious drink is so refreshing and it is very easy to.
If you like tamarind, you will definitely love the drink.
Tamarind grows widely through out Jamaica and is use to make a lot of enables such as the popular tamarind balls.
However, tamarind is mostly eaten raw.
Once the fruit is matured is can be eaten both green or ripe.
The tamarind is ripe when the outer cell is brown, dry and easily broken.
The pod inside is reddish brown with a soft sticky pulp that is easily removed from the small black seeds.
When the tamarind is green the outer shell have a greenish colour with a brown overlay. And the flesh of the fruit have a mint green colour.
The taste of tamarind is an be described as a sweetish, sour, tangy, tart flavour.
The green fruit is more sour and as the fruit ripen it becomes sweeter.
With that said, at times you will find ripe tamarind that are as sour and the green ones.
Because of the taste and texture tamarind is used in a lot of cooking from making jams, sauces, candies, paste to making juices.
In Jamaica we do not use the tamarind in cook apart from making jam, candy and drink.
The simple tamarind drink recipe below show you how to make a refreshing tamarind drink.
Tamarind drink recipe
- 2 cups Ripe tamarind pulp Remove outter shell to get the pulp
- 8 cups Boiled water
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 drops Angostura bitters
- 1 Medium lime Or use lemon
- 1 tbsp Freshly grated ginger
- Honey or brown sugar to sweeten
- Plave the tamarind pulp in a large kitchen bowl.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl onto the tamarind. After 1 minute, try crushing the tamarind with a fork.
- Add the grated giner and leave to cool.
- When to water is cool enough not to burn, using your hands to break the tamarind apart until all the flashy bits are fully remove from the seeds
- Using a fine strainer, strain thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla, angostura bitters and lime juice.
- Sweeten to your taste and put to chill.