Jamaican cow foot recipe. Although many are put of by the cow foot, this dish actually very delicious.
The gummy gravy that is created when the cow foot is cooked will have you licking all ten fingers.
Cow foot will take some time to get tender so you will need a pressure cooker or a slow cooker for this recipe.
I used a pressure cooker.
How To Cook Cow Foot
Step 1. Thoroughly clean the cow foot and get rid of anything that the butcher haven’t. Wash the meat with vinegar and lime juice.
Step 2. Put the cow foot in a cooking out with pieces of fresh ginger. Cover with water and put to cook for 10 minutes.
Step 3. Pour away the boiled water and pieces of ginger.
Step 4. Seasoning the cow foot with all-purpose/meat seasoning, garlic, onion, pimento (allspice), scallion, grated ginger, browning sauce and salt. Leave to marinate to maximise flavour.
Step 5. Put a small amount of cooking oil in the pressure cooker to heat. Add the cow foot and brown on all sides.
Step 6. Pour enough water or beef stock to cover the cow foot. Close the pressure cooker and leave to cook for 30 minutes.
Step 7. Remove the pressure cooker lib. Add pre-cooked butterbeans and thyme and scotch bonnet pepper, cover and let the pot simmer on low heat for another five to ten minutes.
The cow foot have less meat and more bone, but this is what adds to the rich flavour of the dish.
The flavour comes from the bone and the bone marrow and the is what makes the dish so tasty.
It is import that you scald the cow foot first before you pressure cooked it. Scalding the cow foot help to tenderise the meat.
Cow foot best serve with a rice dish.
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family.
I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican Cow Foot Recipe
- Pressure cooker
- 3 lb cow foot
- 1 cup butter bean Precooked
- 1 large onion Chopped
- 3 sprig thyme
- 3 stalk scallion Chopped
- 6 clove garlic Crushed
- fresh ginger
- 10 pimento berries (allspice) Crushed
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 tbsp browning
- 2 tsp All-purpose or meat seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- cooking oil I cook with grape seed oil
- beef stock or water
- 1 large lime or lemon To clean the cow foot
- 2 tbsp vinegar To clean the cow foot
- Thoroughly wash the cow foot in water mixed the vinegar and the juice from the lime/lemon. Drain all the water away.
- Place the cow foot in a pot with about a inch of ginger and cover the cow foot with hot water put to scald for 5-10 minutes then drain the water away.
- Season the the cow foot with the all-purpose seasoning, salt, garlic, onion, pimento, scallion, 1 tsp of grater ginger, browning. Leave to marinate for about a hour or two.
- Put about 3 tbsp of cooking oil in a pressure cooker to heat on medium fire. Once the oil is hot, had marinated cow foot to the pot to brown. Stir constantly to make sure all sides are brown.
- Pour enough water or beef stock to just about cover the cow foot in the pressure cooker. Fasten the pressure cooker and pressure the cow foot for 30 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes, remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let it cool before opening. Make sure the cow foot is tender.
- Put the pot back on the fire at low heat. Stir in the butter bean, add the thyme and whole scotch bonnet pepper. Cover (not with the pressure cooker lid) and let the pot simmer for 5-10 minutes. If you want the cow foot spicy, bust the pepper.