This authentic Jamaican oxtail recipe is bursting with flavour from the pimento berries, scotch bonnet pepper, other Jamaican spices. Prepare the delicious dish with simply ingredients. One of Jamaicans’ favourite and sure to became your too.
The oxtail is slow cooked allowing the meat to absorb all the flavour from the herd and spices used in the recipe. Like may of Jamaican stapled cuisine, the oxtail dish is often eaten with rice and peas or hard food.
Jamaican oxtail is not loved just by Jamaicans alone. Many peoples throughout the world have taste and fell in love with the flavoured meaty goodness of the Jamaican oxtail. You may be one of many who have taste and fell in love and now want to learn how to cook the Jamaican oxtail.
Below I have shared with you an authentic Jamaican oxtail recipe, so you can have the exact taste of Jamaica. To reduce cooking time, the recipe uses pressure cooking.
Authentic Jamaican oxtail recipe
- 2 lbs Oxtail
- 1 Canned butterbean
- 1 tsp Oxtail or meat seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Salt Or to taste
- 1 tsp tsp Browning Thick soya sauce can use as an alternative
- Large onion Sliced
- 1 Small scotch bonnet pepper Seeds remove and finely chopped
- 2 Large Tomato Diced
- 3 Sprig scallion Chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic Crushed
- 2 Sprig thyme
- 1 tsp Freshly grated ginger
- 10 Pimento barriers (allspice)
- 2 tbsp Ketchup (optional)
- Cooking oil
- 1 Small lime To wash the oxtail
- 1 tsp Vinegar To wash the oxtail
- Wash the oxtail with the vinegar and lime then drain, getting rid of all the excess water.
- In a kitchen bowl, conbine the oxtail with all the seasioning. The salt, oxtail/meat seasoning, onion, scallion, pimentio barries, garlic, ginger, browning, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme. Mix the ingredients to together until the oxtail is completely coated in seasoning. Leave to marinate for about a hour (traditionally the oxtail is marinated over night).
- Add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pressure cooker pot and put to hot on medium heat. Saperate the oxtail and the seasioning. Place the oxtail in the hot oil and let it fry until all sides are brown.
- Pour 3 cups of water onto the meat, the seaoning, the dice tomato and close the pressure cooker lid and cook at high pressure for 30-45 minutes. (If you are not using a pressure cooker, let the pot cook for 2 hours on medium low).
- Carefully remove the pressure cooker cover. Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Add the butterbean and stirto evenly distribute.
- Cover the pot with a nomal pot cover and let it simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Stir in the ketchup and let it simmer for other 5 minute are so. Your oxtail is now ready to serve.