Traditional Jamaican rice and peas is bursting with flavour from the coconut milk and other spices. Its mostly eaten with meat or fish. Get the recipe below and try it for yourself.
Rice and peas in Jamaica is a traditional Sunday dinner that often eaten with fried chicken or fried fried. It is the most popular rice dish and commonly eaten day to day at lunch time.
Authentic Jamaican rice and peas is made with fresh coconut milk that adds to it addictive taste. Ginger and pimento berries are also used to flavour the dish.The red kidney beans give the dish its unique wine colour.
The recipe below is for you to enjoy next Sunday or any other day you wish.
Jamaican rice and peas recipe
- 1 Cup Dry red kidney beans Or use 1 canned red kidney beans to lessen the cooking time. Soak dry beans overnight.
- 20 oz Fresh coconut milk Or use a canned coconut milk if you don't have the time to make fresh milk.
- 1 1/2 Cup Basmati rice Washed and drained
- 1/2 Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Clove garlic Crushed
- Stak of scallions Chopped
- 2 Sprig of thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper Don't cut or burst
- Small piece ginger Gratered
- 5 Pimento barries (allspice)
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to your taste
- If using dry kidney beans, wash it and put it in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, pimento berries, 1/4 tsp of salt and cook for about 15 minutes or until beans tender.
- Pour the tender beans in a rice pot, add coconut milk, water (enoung to just about cover the rice when it is added) ginger, thyme, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, salt to tatse and bring pot to a boiled.
- Add the rice and stir well. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the pot steamed until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, remove the thyme stems and Scotch bonnet. Serve!