Jamaican style curry chickpeas inspired by Jamaican curry and Indian curry chana masala. A fusion of two culture to make the delicious dish.
I love chickpea so much could eat it every day. I’ve cooked this dish so many times I think the mastered it to perfection.
This recipe is gluten-free and very vegan friendly.
You have been waiting for it, haven’t you? Here are my ingredients.
- Chickpeas: I used canned chickpeas for this recipe.
- Coconut milk: I used freshly squeezed coconut milk. I have used canned coconut milk before but it doesn’t compare.
- Tomato: I always blend the tomatoes so there are not tomato bits in my curry.
- Carrot and potato: Both ingredients from Jamaican curry. They both go well in the curry so I had it to my curry chickpeas.
- Essential spices and seasoning
How To Cook Jamaican Curry Chickpeas
Because I am using canned chickpeas, which is already cooked, I cooked the potato halfway through before adding the chickpeas. The carrot is easier to cook so that goes in with the chickpeas.
What To Serve It With
I only ever have the dish with my coconut rice dish or naan bread, nothing else seems to go with it.
However, you have it with your favourite side that you love having with curry go ahead and try it.
More Curry Recipe:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Curried chickpeas (Jamaican Style)
- 1 ½ cup Canned Chickpea Rinsed
- 2 cups Fresh coconut milk
- 1 ½ tbsp Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cummin seed
- 1 Cardamom Pod
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Large onion Chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic Crushed
- 1 tbsp Freshly grated ginger
- 2 Bay leaf
- 6 Pimiento berries (allspice)
- 3 Chilli pepper
- 4 Medium Tomatoes Blend until smooth
- 1 Medium carrot Diced
- 1 Medium potato Diced
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ Cup Water
- Place a pot on medium heat, add the oil, cumin seeds, clove, bay leaf, cardamom pod, pimento (allspice) and cook for about a 30 second until the cumin seeds start to crackle.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli pepper and the curry powder, cook until the onion soften. (If the pot start to stick, add a tiny bit of water to prevent burn)
- Add the potato, stir until it is coated with the curry. Add the blended tomato. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and cook until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the chickpeas, carrot, coconut milk and water.
- Add garam masala, salt. Cover and cook until the liquid is reduced and the potatoes and carrots are cooked.
- Before turning off the heat of crush some of the chickpeas and poatoes to thicken up the sauce.