If you are going try any Jamaican recipe, try this Jamaican curry chicken recipe. Seasoned well, cooked down in a savoury curry sauce. Busting with flavour, this delicious dish is one for chicken lovers.
Original Jamaican Curry Chicken is…
… chicken chopped into small pieces, seasoned with Jamaican herbs and spices, made bright yellow with Jamaican curry powder.
Carrot and white potato are added to give the dish a bit more body and help thicken the curry sauce. This stuff is liquid gold!
Which Curry Powder To Use
Jamaican curry powder gives the dish the bright yellow colour that Jamaican curry dishes have. If your curry turns out more reddish-brown you know that you are not using Jamaican curry powder.
What You Need
Here is what you will need for this curry chicken recipe!
- Chicken: Skin removed and chopped into small pieces.
- Curry powder: Use Jamaican curry powder.
- All-purpose seasoning: I use all-purpose but chicken seasoning is just as good.
- Pimento (all-spice), thyme, onion, ginger, garlic, scallion, scotch bonnet pepper: essential flavour
- Carrot and white potato: in every Jamaican curry.
How To Marinate Jamaican Curry Chicken
Marinating the chicken…
Add all the ingredients to the chicken except the potato and the carrot. Rub the seasoning into the chicken to coat it well. Leave the chicken to marinate, the longer the chicken is marinated, the more flavour is infused.
This curry chicken recipe is sometimes made with coconut milk. Coconut milk adds body and a rich flavour to the dish.
I usually add coconut milk when I know my side dish doesn’t contain coconut milk.
What To Serve It With
Curry chicken goes well with just about any side dish. However, in Jamaica, it is usually served with rice.
Jamaicans mainly serve curry chicken with boiled white rice but it is also served with rice and pea for Sunday dinners. Curry chicken also goes well with hard food.
More Curry Recipes:
More Chicken Recipes:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this curry chicken recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican curry chicken recipe
- 2½ lbs Chicken
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tbsp All-purpose or Chicken seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp Salt Or salt to your liking
- 5 Pimento berries (allspice)
- 3 Cloves garlic Crushed
- 1 Medium onion Chopped
- 3 Sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 Medium carrots Chopped
- 1 Small potato Diced
- 1 ½ tsp Freshly grated ginger
- 1 Small scotch bonnet pepper seeds removed and findly chopped
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Boiling water
Wash the chicken
- 1 lime/lemon To wash the chicken
- 1 tsp Vinegar To wash the chicken
- Remove the skin (if there is any) from the chicken and cut it into small pieces. Wash the chicken in water with the juice from the lime/lemon and the vinegar. Drain away all the excess water from the chicken. Dry with kitchen towel if necessary.
- In a kitchen bowl, add the chicken, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, pimento berries, ginger, salt, all-purpose seasoning, the curry powder and mix everything together and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- In a pot add the cooking oil and put to hot on medium heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the oil and stir well. Let the chicken cook until lightly brown on all sides. Don't let the pot burn, add a tip of water if necessary.
- Stir in the carrot, potato and thyme. Add water enough to cover the chicken in the pot. Cover and leave to cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the water is reduced to a curry gravy.