This is a quick and easy recipe for a coconut rice dish with few ingredients that creates a very tasty side. “Shelly” and nice, this coconut rice goes with your favourite main.
What Is Coconut Rice?
As Jamaicans, when we cook boiled rice white it’s just so plain, why water butter and salt. Although this dish goes well with many of our main dishes, especially curry chicken, I get bored of plain boiled white rice.
The coconut rice is one way to “jazz up” my plain white rice dish. It’s just as easy and simple to but taste even better (in my humble opinion).
What You Need For This Recipe?
Here’s what you need for this very simple rice dish!
- Rice: I used easy cook long grain rice, you can use your favourite rice.
- Coconut milk: I use fresh coconut milk but if this is too much for you, you can use canned milk instead.
- Coconut oil: This will help grease the pot to help prevent the rice burning.
- Salt: to taste
- Scallion: For flavour. I something use dry thyme too. Don’t chop.
How To Cook Coconut Rice
Add all the ingredients and it finish in about twenty minutes on the stove.
You can serve your coconut rice with, brown stew, curry goat, or steamed cabbage.
This rice dish is so versatile you can serve it with anything. The fresh coconut milk gave the dish a sweetish taste that does well with a savoury main dish.
I have a few different ways that I make this coconut rice.
One of my favourite ways to cook this rice dish is to add butterbean to it. I usually use canned beans and add it just before I add the rice.
Other times I would season the rice with scallion thyme and onion. I don’t love onion very much so I don’t do this a lot but this is a great way to get away from that plain old boiled rice.
Other Rice Recipe:
Recipes With Coconut Milk:
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
- Also subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates!
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this coconut rice recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
- 1 ½ cups Long grain rice
- 2 cups Fresh coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Stalk scallion
- Pour the coconut milk, add the coconut oil, salt and the scallion and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Wash the rice and pour it in to the pot, stir well.
- Cover. Once the this starts boiling turn the heat to low and let to rice cook until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Turn the off and let the rice rest for about three minutes then serve.
- I use fresh coconut milk but canned milk can also be used.
This rice was really good and flavorful!
Hi Courtney, thanks for sharing. Glad you tried our recipe.
I tried a bag of Microwave Uncle Ben’s “Coconut Jasmin Rice” (just to see) and loved it – it was a different taste for me. However, it only yielded 1 cup and cost over $2.00 for that 1 bag. I figured I would use Jasmin Rice, coconut milk and just do my own, but each recipe calls for long grain rice and not Jasmin. Can I use Jasmin in this recipe or will it cause a problem?
Hi Willet, yes you can use Jasmin rice, just keep in mind jasmin rice takes less liquid and time to cook than long grain rice, which means a lot less coconut milk.
Could you use a rice cooker to make this?
Not sure where I went wrong, but mine came out like cottage cheese