Jamaican pumpkin rice is one of my favourites, especially when the pumpkin is really sweet. This dish is a must try. The pumpkin adds a bit more zest to that same old plain rice you keep cooking so give this recipe a try.
You will be surprise how quick and easy the Jamaican pumpkin rice is to make. And you will also love the taste especially if you like pumpkin. The recipe is shared below.
Jamaican Pumpkin Rice Recipe
- 1 ½ lb Rice
- 14 oz Pumpkin
- ½ oz Butter
- 3 Sprig of thyme
- 2 Cups water
- 1 ½ tsp Salt to taste Or to your liking
- Wash, peel and cropthe pumpkin into small cubes, then place it in a saucepan along with the water, salt and thyme. Boil until the pumpkin is cooked.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, crush it into the water.
- Wash the rice with top water as much time until the water is clear. Then pour it into the saucepan along with the pumpkin mix. Depend on the rice you are using, you will need the water to be at least a inch above the rice in the saucepan.
- Add the butter, cover the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to the lowest and leave for 15-20 minutes or until the rice cooked.