Peanut porridge recipe. Creamy, smooth and delicious, Jamaican peanut porridge makes a great start to your day. Raw peanuts, fresh milk and common spices, yummy!
What Is Peanut Porridge?
Peanut porridge is a Jamaican porridge made from raw peanut, water, milk, aromatic spices and sweeten to taste with condensed milk and or sugar.
This porridge is usually eaten for breakfast. In Jamaica, the porridge often serve at outdoor events and as a street food.
What You Need
Here is what you will need for this peanut porridge recipe!
- Raw peanuts: Make sure to use raw peanuts
- Coconut milk: I use freshly squeezed coconut milk but you can use canned coconut milk. Coconut milk is not a must, you can use cows milk or any plant based milk of your choice.
- Plain flour (not in the photo): Plain flour helps to thicken the porridge. I sometimes use oats but the flour make the porridge smoother.
- Sugar and condensed milk: To sweeten the porridge. You can use one or both.
- Salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla: Essential flavour.
How To Make Peanut Porridge
Minus making your own coconut milk, in just a few steps and your peanut porridge is ready.
Blend the peanut, flour and the coconut milk together until smooth. When using other milk, I would blend the peanut and flour with water and add the milk later.
Add this blended peanut to boiling water and once the porridge thicken add the spices and sweeten.
Instead of using plain flour like I did here you can use oatmeal. This help to thicken the porridge. Even though oats is healthier the flour makes the porridge smoother.
To make the peanut porridge vegan all you have to do is use a vegan condensed milk as the sweetener.
More Porridge Recipe
More Peanut Recipe
Jamaican Peanut Porridge Recipe
- 1 cup (146 g) Raw peanut
- ¼ cup (31.25 g) Plain Flour
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) Milk
- ¼ tsp Grated nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon stick Or cinnamon leaf or ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) Water
- Condensed milk Sweeten to taste
- Add the peanuts, plain flour, and milk to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cup of water to a pot, the salt and the cinnamon stick or leaf (if you are using ground cinnamon, add later), and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Pour in the blended peanut and stir (whisk) continuously until the porridge start thicken.
- Let the porridge cook for 10 to 15 minutes then add the vanilla and nutmeg
- Sweeten to taste with the sugar and condensed milk
- The plain flour can be replaced with oatmeal.
- Though I used both sugar and condensed milk you can use just the sugar or just the condensed milk if you rather.
- The type of milk you use is simply up to you. I used oat milk.
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you like this Jamaican peanut porridge recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!