This Salt fish with butter bean recipe is one of my favourite. The combination of the saltiness of the saltfish and the sweetish taste of the butterbean makes this dish so enjoyable.
Saltfish is dry salted cod fish but in more recent years other types of fish are used as saltfish. This is why there are a variety of saltfish available, such as boneless and skinless saltfish.
Take care when preparing the saltfish so that you can get rid of the excess salt. I would recommend soaking the fish overnight in cold water.
If you decide not to soak the fish overnight, make sure to wash away the excess salt before putting the fish to boil for about 15-20 minutes.
If you are using boneless or skinless saltfish, you won’t need to boil the fish this long.
I always wash the fish other time after it is boiled to get rid of as much salt as I possible can.
I usually don’t add salt to the recipe whenever I am cooking saltfish because the salt from the fish is enough to season the pot.
Some people still do add salt and it is up to you to decide if you would want to add salt to the recipe below.
Salt fish with butter bean is best served with hard food, boiled dumplings, boiled banana, boiled pumpkin and boiled yam.
But if you are not in the mood for hard food, you can have it with rice like I did.
Try our recipe below and let me know how it turns our in the comment section.
Salt fish with butter bean recipe
- 1 lb Salt fish (salted cod)
- 1 Can butterbean
- 4 oz Fresh string beans
- 1 Medium tomato
- ½ Sweet bell pepper
- 1 Small onion
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 2 oz Okra
- 1 Medium carrot
- 3 Sprig of dried thyme
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper Remove seeds
- ¼ tsp Salt Optional
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Soak the salt fish overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Place the salt fish in a saucepan with fresh water and put to boil.
- Pour away the boiled water and wash the salt fish with cold water, remove the scale and bone (not necessary if you are using boneless and skinless cod) flake the salt fish and set aside.
- Wash the butterbean and leave to drain
- Trim the ends if the string beans and chop in four.
- Trim the ends of the okra and chop into small slices.
- Chop the carrot, tomato, bell pepper, onion, garlic and set aside
- Add the oil to a saucepan on medium heat. Place your onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the string beans, okra, bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, carrot, tomato, salt and stir well. Cover and leave to for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the salt fish flakes and butter bean. Stir well and like to cook for another 5-10 minutes on low heat.