Jamaican stew peas is make with red kidney beans and made with or without meat.
This vegan version that you will learn how to make is simple and taste just as great as other stew peas.
I grew up in a household where meat wasn’t a big part of our diet so we regularly ate this dish.
My grandmother use to make the tastiest stew peas without meat that was packed with flavour from fresh coconut milk.
And I am sharing her recipe with you today.
What I Red Peas?
Red peas is red kidney beans.
I have no glue why we do, but Jamaicans call red kidney beans peas.
For here on I will use the word peas and you will know I am referring to red kidney beans.
I used raw red peas to make this dish. This means it will take some time to the peas.
Soaking the peas overnight is a long standing method Jamaican uses to help soften the peas.
I also pressure cooked the peas for fifteen minutes to soften the peas and reduce the cooking time.
Whenever I am making stew peas I only ever use fresh coconut milk.
Fresh coconut milk gives the dish a slightly sweet taste that you don’t get from coconut milk you buy in store.
Making fresh homemade coconut will increase the preparation time but it will worth it.
With that said, vegan stew can still tase great even if its cooked with canned coconut milk.
The dish can even down without coconut milk and still taste.
But fresh coconut milk takes the dish to another level.
What are snippers?
This is the little oval like shaped dumplings that are in the dish.
These are easy to make with just plan flour, water and a bit of salt – if you like.
I personally don’t add salt to my dumpling mix but you feel that it will taste bland go ahead and had the salt.
When you make the dumpling dough, simple take small pieces of it and roll it in the palm of your hands to make the spinners.
How To Cook Stew Peas Without Milk
Step 1. Prepare the coconut milk and set it side for late.
Step 2. Make the spinners and set it side
Step 3. Add the peas, pimento berries, salt and pressure cook the peas for 15 minutes.
Step 4. Pour in the coconut milk, garlic, onion, thyme, scallion, carrot and scotch bonnet pepper.
Step 5. Bring to a boil then add the spinners. Add more salt as needed.
Step 6. Cook until the liquid reduce and thicken.
What To Serve It With
Stew peas is best serve with boiled white rice.
Since so much is going on in the stew peas, a simple side dish goes well with it.
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family.
I am SO thankful for you!
If you try this Jamaican stew peas recipe, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican Stew peas without meat
- 1 ½ Cups Red peas (kidney beans)
- 2 Cups Fresh coconut milk
- 1 Red onion chopped
- 2 Stalks scallion chopped
- 2 Carrots diced
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 5 Pimento berries
- 3 Sprig of thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup Plain flour
- ⅛ Salt (Optional)
- In a small bowl, add the flour and salt.
- Add water a little at a time and knead to form a firm dough
- Separate into very small pieces, roll in the palm to make
How to make the stew peas
- Wash the peas, soak overnight in cold water.
- Pour away the water when you ready to cook the peas.
- Add the peas in a pressure cooker add 3 cups of water, about five pimento berries, 1 teaspoon of salt. Close the pressure cooker and pressure the peas for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool before removing the lib.
- Place to beans back on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut milk, garlic, onion, thyme, scallion, carrot and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Add the spinners.
- Taste if you want more salt and season to your taste.
- Cover the pot (not will the pressure cooker lib) and let it cook until sauce reduce and thicken. Stir occasionally do that the pot doesn't burn. Avoid bursting the scotch bonnet pepper while stirring.