The easy to prepare Jamaican steamed cabbage is one for vegans and vegetable lovers like myself. Simple ingredients and takes a few minutes to cook. You can eat it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner or as side salad like along with your main course.
This recipe uses white cabbage, the most common cabbage eaten in Jamaican. Usually steamed, this dish accompanies the main course on Sundays but eaten as part of the main cause during the week.
This is a very versatile dish that you will find yourself preparing over and over again.
Jamaican Steamed Cabbage recipe
- 1 Large cabbage
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 Medium carrot
- 2 Cloves garlic
- ½ Red sweet bell pepper
- ½ Yellow sweet bell pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Salt You can add more or less salt to your taste
- ¼ Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- Cut the cabbage into four quarters, remove the middle, wash the cabbage leaves and slice them into small pieces. Set aside
- Peel, wash and chop the carrot into thin strips.
- Chop the onion and bell peppers into small pieces.
- Finely cut the garlic or use a garlic crusher
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat then add the onion, garlic and thyme and let it cook for about three minute until the onion is a bit soft.
- Add the cabbage, bell pepper, and carrot, scotch bonnet pepper if using any and salt to your taste. Stir well.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover saucepan and let the vegetables steam until soft and tender. (I personally like vegetables crispy. Whenever I am cooking for myself, the cabbage and carrot cook for no more than 10 minutes.)
- Stir in the black pepper. Cover for another 2-3 minutes turn the heat off.