Jamaican plantain porridge recipe
How to make this healthy Jamaican plantain porridge for breakfast. Vegan friendly, gluten-free and tastes delicious.
- 1 Large green plantain Wash, peel and chopped in quarters
- 2 cups Fresh coconut milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick Or you could use 2 cinnoman leaves
- ¼ tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Salt
- 1½ cup Water
- Condensed milk sweeten to taste
In a blender, add the plantain, grated nutmeg, along with one cup and a half of coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
Add the water to a pot with the cinnamon stick (or leaves) and salt. Put to boil on medium heat.
Once the water is boiled, pour the blended mixture into the boiling water. Stir continuously.
Add the rest of the coconut milk
As the porridge starts thickening, turn the heat down.
Let the porridge cook for 5 to 10 minutes
Add the vanilla and sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
- Use one cup of water if you like your porridge to be thick. I like mine a little runny.
- Instead of cinnamon stick or leaf, you can also use ground cinnamon.