Today I am sharing a creative cooking recipe. A spinach recipe with a Jamaican twist.
Spinach is similar to the Jamaican callaloo. The texture is the same and it is just as easy to cook.
So I have decided to cook spinach like I was cooking callaloo and I am sharing what I did with you.
Spinach tends to distribute lots of water when it cooking so I also always put it to drain after I wash it.
I also don’t chopped up my spinach because spinach shrinks a lot when it cooks.
But in the instruction below I said chopped but you can decided how you want you spinach.
Related: Callaloo with Saltfish,
Also, you can can remove the scotch bonnet pepper from the recipe if you don’t like spicy food.
I hope you will try this spinach recipe below.
Jamaican style spinach recipe
- 400 g Spinach
- 1 Hand full of baby pump tomatoes Chopped
- 1 Small onion Sliced
- 1 Bell pepper Chopped
- 2 Garlic clove Crushed
- 6 Chestnut mushroom Chopped
- 200 g Saltfish (codfish) Boneless & skinless
- 3 Sprig fresh thyme
- ¼ Scotch bonnet pepper Seeds remove and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt Or to your taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Wash the excess salt from the fish. In a saucepan with fresh water put to saltfish to boil over medium heat for about 10 minute.
- Remove from heat, drain the boiled water away and wash the fish again. Drain away as much of the water as possible from the fish. Flake the fish and set aside.
- Wash the spinach and put a side to drain.
- In a sauté pan add a drizzle of olive oil, put the onion and garlic to gently sweat until soft over low heat.
- Add the thyme, the scotch bonnet pepper (if using it) and the flaked fish. Stir continuously for 3 minutes, making sure not to burn the food.
- Stir in the tomato, bell pepper, and mushroom. Cover to simmer for about 5 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- Add the spinach, salt, black pepper and stir to combine everything. Simmer until the spinach is cooked
Easy to make and very tasty