Learn how to make Jamaican red peas soup without meat. Easy, delicious vegan peas soup with coconut milk.
The Jamaican Ital soup is perfect for vegans or someone who is having a meat free day.
Red peas soup is very similar to stew peas.
Both dishes uses the same ingredients and preparation method is almost similar.
You if love stew peas you’re going to love our red peas soup recipe.
If you are familiar with Jamaican food, you will know that we call kidney bean, peas.
Kidney beans (peas) is the main ingredient for this recipe and a few other popular Jamaican cuisines.
This Jamaican red peas soup is a whole meal in it self even without the meat.
There are the beans, that provide the protein, the vegetables, a number of group provisions and dumplings, which makes this dish so filling.
If you are using raw beans (peas) I did, you will need to pressure cook the beans to reduce the time it takes to cook it.
Soaking the beans for at lease two 2 hour before cooking it can also help soften the beans and reduce the cooking time.
I also use fresh coconut milk in my peas soup to add more flavour and to make the dish much more healthy.
Although I use raw beans ad fresh coconut milk, you can use can canned coconut and canned beans if time is of the essence.
How To Make Red Peas Soup
Step 1. Add a cups of dry kidney peas to a pressure cooker along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, pimento berries (allspice), garlic and 4 cups of water. Pressure cook for fifteen to twenty minutes.
Step 2. After fifteen to twenty minutes, make sure the pressure cooker is cool before you remove the lib.
Step 3. Pour in the coconut milk, add the thyme, onion, scallion, carrot, pumpkin, yam, dumpling. Add enough water to cover all the food in the pot. Add salt to taste.
Step 4. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the food are fully cooked.
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family.
I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this red peas soup without meat recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
Jamaican Red Peas Soup Without Meat
- Pressure cooker
- 1 cups dry kidney beans
- 2 ½ cups fresh coconut milk
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 sprig of thyme
- 3 stalk scallion chopped
- 5 pimento berries (allspice)
- 1 carrot peel and diced
- 1 lb pumpkin chopped in cubed
- ½ lb yellow yam peel and chopped in cubed
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- salt to taste
- 6 water
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornmeal optional
- ¼ tsp salt* optional
- In a small bowl, add the flour, cornmeal and salt.
- Add water a little at a time and knead to form a firm dough
- separate into very small pieces and make round flat dumplings
How to make the soup
- Add the red peas to a pressure cooker with four cups of boiling water, the pimento, garlic and ¼ tsp of salt and pressure the peas for 15-20 minutes. (If you soak the beans you won't have to pressure it for this long.)
- Turn off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool before removing the lib.
- Place to beans back on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut milk, thyme, onion, scallion, carrot, pumpkin, yam and dumplings. If the liquid in the pot doesn't cover the food, add more water until the food is cover.
- Add the salt to salt. Add the whole scotch bonnet pepper, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the pot cook for about 30 minutes or until all the food in the pot is fully cooked.
- Remove the scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
- Now and then I will a bit of cornmeal to the plain flour to switch things up.
- I personally don’t put salt in my dumpling but I add it as an option because I find that many people thinks the dumpling taste bland without salt.