Jamaican fish tea soup is one of my favourite Jamaican soups and I could have this refreshing soup at any day of the week.
You may be wondering why it is call fish tea if it is a soup dish. It is because the soup bit (broth) is much thinner that other type of soups.
Also, the amount of root vegetable in the soup is not as much as other soups cooked in Jamaica.
According to us Jamaicans, tea is the remedy for every sicken and when we have the flu/cold we often drink fish tea.
So maybe that is another reason why it is called fish tea. But that’s is my own opinion.
In Jamaica, fish tea soup is usually made with doctor fish but any fish other fish can be used.
The type of ground provision you use is really up to you. For the recipe, I used pumpkin, green banana, cho cho (Chayote), carrot and okra.
Other ingredients that are a must when cooking fish tea soup are pimento (allspice), thyme, escallion, and the fish of course.
To make this an authentic Jamaican fish soup recipe I have used grace fish tea mix to flavour the dish.
If you try the recipe, make sure to share your experience in the comment and give the recipe and five start.
THANK YOU, for your continuous support.
Jamaican fish tea soup
- 2 lbs Fresh fish
- 1 Cho cho (Chayote) peel and chopped in the cubes
- 10 oz pumpkin chopped into small cubes. You may peel, I always cook with the skin.
- 1 Green bananas Chopped
- 5 oz okra Chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 3 Sprig thyme
- 2 Stalks escallion Chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- Salt to taste
- 5 Pimento berries
- 1 pack Fish tea noodle
- 1 Lemons or lime To wash the fish
- ½ tsp Vinegar To wash the fish
- Wash fish in Vinegar or Lemon and drain.
- Place the fish in a soup pot with 1 pint of water, thyme, pimento and ½ tsp of salt. Boil fish for 6-7 minutes until fish is tender.
- Once the fish is tender, remove from the pot and debone the fish.
- Add the de-bone fish black in the pot with all the other ingredients. At the point you will need more water and salt. Add another pint of water or enough to cover to food in the pot. Stir well, cover and let the it cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the pack of fish tea noodle if you are using it. At this point ypu may want to remove the scotch bonnet pepper from the soup, so the soup won't be as spicy.
- Cook for oanther 10 minute or until the all the food id cooked.